The Great Gatsby

The Great Gatsby was one of the most impressive books I’ve ever read, however, I have to admit that when I first read the book I thought that it had no meaning because I had no background information about nor the author, neither the era that he wrote about. Being informed about the former I realised that the book has some autobiographical points and then the book was more enjoyable to read.

The story is about the love which has became an obsession between Jay Gatsby and Daisy Buchanan. Actually Daisy only loves money and a comfortable life, moreover she is a really shallow person, the only that she can do is being a little beautiful fool.  Gatsby is a rich and handsome man who does everything to become rich, both legal and illegal ways, and eventually he is the ‘great’ Gatsby.

As I said in the beginning if you have some ideas about the era you can understand the book better. Since I love that era I searched for that and found out so many things and they helped me  a lot to get the book.

After watching the move and reading the book I thought about one thing, is it good to be shallow? Okay, the first answer comes to your mind is ‘nope!’ but if you think a little bit you are going to see my point. I mean, we are not shallow people we know much about life, we have responsibilities and we are aware of these. On the other side of the coin people don’t really know what are they doing.  They just live and be happy with what they are given. This brings me back to the debate topic that we were dealing with two week ago. ‘The  more you know, The more you fear’.. Isn’t it true?

Finally, I’m so glad that we read this amazing novel, watched the movie and analyzed it. It was a great opportunity to learn something new and I’m sure that I did. I want to thank our great teacher who wants us to read such important novels and helps us to understand it.

BTW yesterday I bumped into a group on facebook called ”My English Teacher finds more deep meaning in a book than the author” I guess I gotta be a member 🙂

2 thoughts on “The Great Gatsby

1. Hi Burak,
    I enjoyed reading your article. It’s so good to see my students asking questions to themselves. Great, you’re doing it.
    You have a point about being shallow but the opposite is much better, believe me. Being an individual is a challenge and although you suffer more, you feel sorry more or you feel the pain of others, it is something good.
    I’m happy you enjoyed reading it and I’m still thinking about The Grapes of Wrath…:-)
    Eva B.

2. I’m glad that u liked it teacher 🙂
    And we should definitely read that book too, as far as I remember u told that it was related with the great depression, since we know those years it would be enjoyable to read that one too.
    Ohh God! we’re gonna be experts of American History and that will be a great way to start dreaming about the bracnh ”American Culture and Literature” 🙂